Vanity in different industries is booming especially in rejuvenating the face. And thus, different dermatological services are getting hotter in various beauty centers and newer cosmetic technologies even make it bigger.
One famous procedure is called Microdermabrasion, with the use of specialized machines and crystals, the removal of facial lines, wrinkles and acne scars are made easy with just a few simple strokes revealing a glow that you may not have seen in years. Besides its simplicity, it is known to have shown excellent results of skin rejuvenation and transformation. With microdermabrasion, you can have instant peel with smoother and finer skin without getting any cuts and downtimes.
What are the different types of Microdermabrasion?
The most popular types of microdermabrasion are called the “Crystal Microdermabrasion” and the “Crystal-free Microdermabrasion or popularly known as the Diamond Peel”.
- Crystal Microdermabrasion is the traditional type which uses fine crystals to smoothen and abrade the skin. With the aid of a powerful vacuum, the shredded dead cells, dirt and used crystals are pulled away to clean and exfoliate the skin.
- Crystal-free Microdermabrasion or Diamond Peel is the later version of microdermabrasion which uses a diamond-tipped wand to provide skin abrasion and exfoliation. Unlike the latter version, this procedure does not use crystals to resurface the skin, instead it uses a disposable or reusable diamond tip wand.
What are the Differences of Diamond Peel and Crystal Microdermabrasion?
Technically, both procedures work exactly the same except for some slight differences.
- This type of Microdermabrasion uses fine crystals such as Aluminum Oxide, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Chloride and Magnesium Oxide. The most commonly used abrasive crystal is the Aluminum Oxide which is known to be the second hardest mineral, with Diamond as the first.
- Some Dermatologists believe that crystals are more effective abrader compared to Diamonds. With its irregular shape and texture, facial resurfacing is easier to achieve.
Crystal Free Microdermabrasion or Diamond Peel:
- This type uses reusable or disposable diamond-tipped wands to abrade the skin. The wands are made in various sizes and textures for different skin types and depths of resurfacing.
- Some Dermatologists find ease and efficiency with the Diamond Peel because it is easier to use and unlikely to leave stray particles in the eyes, nose or mouth which can pose risks when ingested or inhaled.
Which is Better? Diamond Peel or Crystal Microdermabrasion?
Both types of Microdermabrasions have shown the same effective and positive results when it comes to skin resurfacing and exfoliation.
There are only minor disadvantages and advantages that you should consider when choosing your preference:
- Diamond Peel or Crystal-free Microdermabrasion is not that effective on irregular surfaces because there are no crystals to fit the exact irregularities of the skin. Also, Bacteria from the treated skin may stay on the tip of the wand and can be unknowingly spread to other areas of the skin. However, compared to the Crystal type, it is known to be performed faster making it ideal for those who want to keep the procedure short.
- On the other hand, Crystal Microdermabrasion is more effective in most skin irregularities because crystals have irregular shapes and textures which could fit on the skin for a more effective exfoliation. Also, Aluminum Oxide crystals are inert materials which do not cause any allergic or adverse reactions. It is not toxic when ingested and is non-carcinogenic.
END OF…Difference between Diamond Peel and Crystal Microdermabrasion