Raise your hand if you think you have “dark underarms!”. I bet you are not alone. A lot of men and women of different ages face this kind of dilemma.
According to a survey, 93% of women consider their armpits not attractive. Also, one out of three women feel more comfortable when their armpits are in excellent condition.
“We spoke with over 500 women, and almost every one of them thinks that their underarms are unattractive,” says Mike Dwyer, U.S. marketing director for Unilever’s deodorant business.
Dark underarms are a total kill-joy. It’s like living a life of embarrassment. It feels like everything that requires a “hand raise” would be as hard as lifting a sack of rice. Imagine that! you can’t even wear your sleeveless dress during parties, you can’t put your hands in the air during a concert, you can’t ask or answer a question in your favorite class, and even shy away to give a hi-5 with your friends. Just how sad is that? Let us know more about Dark underarms…
Causes of Dark Underarms
- Genetic phenomenon
- Friction between tight shirt and your underarms.
- Excessive sweating
- Infections due to improper washing of underarms
- Bacteria metabolizes sweat and sebum ( called Corynebacterium)
- Post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation ( from injury or allergy)
- Dead skin buildup
- Intake of Androgen-based contraceptives
- Alcohol and strong fragrance in deodorants.
- Overweight ( surrounding skin mechanical friction)
- Acanthosis Nigricans ( a condition that is associated with insulin resistance diabetes)
- Hemosiderin deposition
How to Prevent Dark Underarms
- Use cotton clothes.
- Get rid of anti- perspirants which contain Aluminum Chloride.
- Avoid razors and hair removal creams. Waxing may be recommended.
- Avoid direct contact with strong chemicals like deodorants and perfumes.
- No plucking as it may cause trauma.
- Proper diet. Eat more fruits and vegetables.
Dark Underarm Whitening Treatments
- Combinations of Retin-A, Steroids, and Hydroquinone may work. Make sure to consult a dermatologist before using such medications.
- Chemical peels are known to be effective.
- Pixel and Fraxel laser can help to minimize discoloration.
- Some dermatologists may recommend Tri-luma cream and other whitening products.
- Underarm bleaching. This method helps to whiten and peel off the dark skin.
- Some dermatologist believe that hair reduction is safer than direct use of lasers. Removing the darkly colored hair follicles might improve the overall coloration of the underarm area.
- Botox– Most dark underarms are caused by excessive sweating. With Botox treatments sweating may be reduced and thus odor and skin pigmentation may be prevented.
- Do not shave your underarms, instead wax them regularly. It will not only remove hair but also the dead skin.